Facebook Messenger has become one of the most convenient ways to communicate as it allows users to connect with people anytime, anywhere for free. One of the benefits of Messenger is the ability to send videos. So you don’t have to share the video on your Facebook wall; instead, you can just send it privately to the person or group it’s intended for.
Have you ever wanted to download videos directly from Facebook Messenger?
Did you want to save a video on your phone and not trust it to a social network? Are you proud of the video you made or participated in and want to keep it on your device? This tutorial will show you how to download videos from Facebook Messenger and save them on your device.
For a while, you could watch videos on Facebook Messenger and click the download icon at the bottom of the page to download the video. Then after a few Facebook updates, this download option seems to have disappeared.
What was once a very simple process has become a bit more complicated. My guess is that Facebook wants you to stay on the platform (also known as walled garden) as long as possible and would rather you watch videos on their app rather than on the phone itself.
However, as always, there are other ideas on the Internet, and he suggested two alternative workarounds. There are other options, but they tend to involve downloading and using random software, which isn’t ideal. None of these options require anything other than a web browser or web application.
The bottom line is that if the download option is no longer available on your Facebook Messenger, you can still download videos.
Download video from Facebook Messenger
Before the download icon disappeared from the app, you could play videos directly from Facebook Messenger and then at the end you will see the download option.
Alternatively, on an iPhone, you can press and hold on the video and see the “Save As” option in the dialog box. If you no longer see this option, all is not lost, as there are other ways to get what we want.
Download Facebook Messenger Video on Windows
This approach works for downloading videos from Facebook Messenger using a Windows computer.
- Sign in to your Facebook account.
- Click the Messages icon to open your chat history. Then go to the conversation with the video you want to download.
- On the left side of the video, you’ll find a three-dot icon (More). Click on it and select Save to Facebook .
- Then click View Saved Items. This will open a new tab in your browser.
- In a new tab, you will see the My Collections screen . In the All section, you will see the saved video.
- Click on the video and it will automatically download to your computer. The videos can be found in the Downloads folder on your computer.
- Once you’ve uploaded a video, you can remove it from your Facebook account by clicking on the three dots icon next to the “Add to Collection” button and clicking “Unsave”.
Use the Web Browser Trick
This is a widely publicized hack that allows you to download videos from Facebook Messenger. It fetches the URL of the video, switches it to the mobile version of the page, and allows you to inspect the element and download the video. The process works like this:
- Navigate to the video you want to download.
- Right-click it and select “Copy video URL at current time”.
- Paste this URL into a browser tab, remove www. part and replace it with m. to access the mobile version.
- Load the page and play the video.
- Right click and select “Inspect” or use Alt Option + Cmd + J on Mac.
- Find a video URL ending in MP4 and copy it.
- Paste it in another tab and let it play.
- Right-click this video and choose Save Video As.
This process is used on the internet on all kinds of websites to isolate a video file for download. It works in most browsers that have a developer console, and despite a few steps, it’s actually very easy to do.
Use FBdown.net to download videos from Facebook Messenger.
FBdown.net is a video download website that can quickly download videos from Facebook Messenger. You still need to grab the URL of the video using steps 1 to 6, but instead of downloading it from a browser tab, you can use this web app. If you find that “Save As” doesn’t work, this is where you need to go.
- Follow steps 1 to 6 above to grab the video URL.
- Go to fbdown.net.
- Paste the URL into the center field and click Download.
- Download the video and save it anywhere you choose.
If you capture the video URL correctly, the website will find and identify the video and then download it to your device. Works on mobile devices and desktop computers. This method works quickly and efficiently. I tested it twice with the Brave browser on Windows 10 and it only took me a few seconds to download a 30 second video from Facebook Messenger.
Download Video from Facebook Messenger on Android
Downloading videos from Facebook Messenger to an Android device is quite easy.
- Open Messenger and open a conversation with the video you want to download.
- Tap and hold on a video and you’ll have options to Save Video, Forward or Delete.
- Click Save Video.