Kindle devices are great for voracious readers. Carrying voluminous novels or documents in a suitcase and reading whenever possible is difficult for everyone.
While your main reason for buying a Kindle was undoubtedly reading your favorite books on the go, you may not know that the device also supports PDFs. In this article, we will show you how to send PDF to Kindle.
Why Kindle devices are a great option for storing PDFs
Did you know that instead of carrying around a lot of work files or research papers, you can save them on your Kindle and read at your leisure? What’s more, the device can hold thousands of books and PDF files.
There are two important ways to add PDF to Kindle:
- Use your approved “send to Kindle” email address to email the PDF to your Kindle.
- Use a USB cable to download a PDF directly from your PC to your Amazon Kindle account.
The latter is the most popular way to send multiple PDFs.
However, sending a PDF file to Kindle is not a one-click process.
How to send PDF to Kindle via email
This method is useful for devices that do not support transferring files to a Kindle account directly via USB. For this method, you need to follow the following steps.
Know your file type
In order to successfully send Kindle to PDF, you must ensure that your file is a PDF file and it must also be compatible with Kindle. Now is not the time to guess. However, it is not difficult to find out the file format. When the file opens on your computer, do the following:
- Right click and select “Properties”.
- You will see the file type and know if it is compatible or not.
If the file is in a format other than PDF, there are different ways to convert it. The easiest way is to try a PDF converter. It will help you convert other file formats to PDF files. Please note that there are free and paid versions of the tool online. Once you are sure your file type is PDF, you can move on to the next step.
PDF on Kindle Find your Kindle email address
You need a Kindle email address to send the PDF to your Amazon device. It may seem simple, but your Kindle has a special email address that you may not know. Follow these steps to find it:
- Go to “Account & Lists” in the top right corner of the Amazon home page.
- Select “Content and Devices” from the drop-down menu.
- Then select Manage Content and Devices.
- Select Devices.
- Scroll down to “Amazon apps installed on devices” then click the Kindle app.
- In the “Installed on Devices” section, you’ll see a summary of information about your device. This is where you’ll find your Kindle email address.
What if you have multiple Kindle devices?
Each device has a Kindle email address associated with it, even if they are registered with the same Kindle account. We recommend that you save the email address somewhere so that you can easily find it, as you don’t want to have to worry about finding your Kindle email every time.
Verifying your email address
You can’t just use any email to send a PDF to Kindle. It must be approved so that when the Kindle receives the file from the address, it knows what to do with it. Make sure the email address you enter for approval matches the one you plan to send the PDF from, otherwise it won’t work.
- Go to “Settings” on the top bar again.
- Select Personal Document Settings.
- Scroll down the menu and select “List of Approved Personal Documents by Email”.
- This list contains email addresses that can send documents to your Kindle. To enter a new email address, select Add New Approved Email Address.
- Enter your email address and select “Add Address” at the bottom of the pop-up page.
This will automatically add it to the list of approved emails for Kindle. If you want to add multiple email addresses, you must approve them one by one.
Composing an email
Once your email is added, the hard work is done and you’re all set to send your PDF to Kindle. Here’s how it’s done:
- Find an email client of your choice.
- Create an email and attach a PDF file.
- Send to a Kindle email address that you’ve added to your list of approved email addresses.
- Amazon Kindle Support will send you an email notifying you that your Kindle has received the request.
- You have 48 hours to approve your request. Once you do this, your document will be processed and downloaded to the Kindle device you sent it to.
When you open your Amazon Kindle library, you’ll find all the PDFs you’ve sent along with your Kindle eBooks.
Note. There is no need to add a subject or any other information to the email.
How to Send PDF to Kindle via USB
This method is not suitable for transferring PDF files to the Kindle app. Instead, use the email method.
- Find the PDF file in the file browser or desktop.
- Connect your computer to your Kindle via USB. Once added, you will find it under Devices connected to your PC.
- Once connected, click on Kindle and find your documents folder.
- Go back to the PDF, hold your cursor, drag the file from its location, and drop it into your Kindle’s “document” folder.
Your PDF will be automatically added to your Kindle device so you can read it on the go.
How to Use PDF Editing Software to Edit PDF Files Before Sending Them to Kindle
You can easily add annotations or comments to your Kindle with PDF editing software . However, editing a PDF file can be problematic without reliable editing software. There are many PDF editors online. They are both free and paid. However, most of them are open source.
Get more out of your Kindle
As you can see, sending a PDF to Kindle is a simple process. If you follow the instructions in this article, you should have no problem transferring files to your device.
What are your favorite ways to send PDF to Kindle? Have you already tried any of them? Let us know in the comments below.