Since its release, HBO Max has been plagued with a bug that has made audio descriptions the default for many movies and shows in its catalog. This can be very annoying for those who do not have vision problems as it creates more sound and distracts from the viewing experience.
Luckily, this can be fixed on any device that supports the HBO Max app. Here is a guide on how to film audio descriptions on HBO Max.
How to disable audio description on Firestick
The Firestick is a great Amazon device that lets you take streaming apps with you wherever you go. You simply plug it into a USB port on your TV or computer to access all your favorite streaming apps. It comes with a remote that you use just like a TV remote. You’ll need it to fix the audio description issue on HBO Max.
- In the app, start the video, then press pause on the remote control.
- Press the up arrow until the small square in the upper right corner of the screen is highlighted.
- Press the button in the center of the circle on the Firestick remote. The subtitle and audio settings are displayed at the top of the screen.
- Go to the “Audio” menu, then select “English” instead of “English [Audio Description]”.
- Your video should not have audio descriptions.
How to disable audio descriptions on Roku
Basically, Roku turns any TV into a smart TV. To enable audio descriptions, grab your Roku remote and follow these steps:
- During video playback, press the “*” button.
- Select Accessibility, then select Subtitle Tracking.
- Change the settings so that only the language you want is played. Don’t select anything next to “audio descriptions”.
- Your video should now work correctly.
How to disable audio descriptions on PC
Using HBO Max via PC is one of the most convenient ways to stream. You can access both the website and the app for HBO Max. Including audio descriptions in your videos is the same for both platforms.
- Start playing something, then tap the screen.
- In the lower right corner, select “Audio and Subtitles”.
- In the Audio section, select English – Audio Description, then click X to close the window.
- Open the “Audio and Subtitles” menu again.
- Choose the language you want to use
How to turn off audio descriptions on a mobile device
The HBO Max mobile app is available on all major mobile devices and there is no difference between iOS and Android phones.
- Open the app, then start playing the show or movie.
- Touch the screen to open the player controls.
- In the upper right corner, click the “Audio and Subtitles” button.
- In the Audio section, click English – Audio Description.
- Click “X” to close.
The audio description bug has been around for quite some time. Fortunately, there are easy ways to fix this.
1. Restart the application
Sometimes there can be a glitch that causes the app to do something it shouldn’t. The quickest way to resolve any issue with the HBO Max app is to restart it. Make sure it’s not running in the background so the app closes completely.
2. Update the app
3. Reinstall the app
If you have already restarted and updated the application, the problem may occur during installation. Delete the app, download it again, then launch the app. Reinstalling will also give you the latest version of the app, so if you haven’t updated the app, reinstalling will also do that.
HBO Max has great content, but it doesn’t matter if you can’t enjoy it to the fullest. Some users still experience problems with audio descriptions, regardless of the methods in this article. Hope HBO fixes the bug soon.
Have you ever had problems with audio descriptions on the HBO Max app? What method did you use to solve the problem? Let us know in the comments below.