One of the interesting features offered by Vizio’s smart TV range is the built-in Chromecast. Chromecast is a media streaming adapter from Google that allows you to play videos and music via streaming services directly on your TV. Various channels, including music and games, are combined into “apps” on Vizio TVs. Because these apps are software-based and run on the Chromecast’s built-in processor, it’s important to keep apps up to date. This article shows you how to update apps on your Vizio smart TV.
There are several generations of Vizio smart TVs, and the procedures for updating apps are different for each. However, there are two categories of Vizio TVs: the older VIA and VIA Plus models, and the newer models (including the P and M series) with SmartCast. I’ll walk you through updating apps for both categories of TVs.
Update apps on Vizio VIA or VIA Plus TV
The original system for adding apps to Vizio smart TVs was called VIA, which stands for Vizio Internet Apps. If you want to update apps on these models, you’ll have to do it manually. This process requires uninstalling the VIA application and reinstalling it, or performing a firmware update (which does the same).
To update only your apps, you need to uninstall and then reinstall each app:
- Press the V or VIA button on the remote control.
- Select the application you want to update and press the yellow button on the remote control.
- If you see “Update”, click it. If you don’t, select Uninstall App and then OK.
- Confirm your purchase choice by highlighting Yes and pressing OK.
- Navigate to the App Store using the remote control.
- Select the app you want to update or reinstall and click OK.
- Select “Install” and wait for the process to complete.
Vizio uses the Yahoo platform to host these apps, so you’ll see “Yahoo Connected Store” when you select them.
To manually update the firmware, you will need a USB drive and about fifteen minutes.
- Turn on the TV, go to “Settings” and “System” to check the firmware version number in the “Version” section.
- Download the latest firmware for your TV model from the Vizio support website . Select “Support” and enter your TV model number to get the correct firmware. Compare it with the version listed on your TV and continue if the installed version is older.
- Rename the downloaded file to “fwsu.img”. This allows your TV to recognize it as a firmware image file.
- Copy the file to a USB drive.
- Turn off the TV and insert the USB stick into the TV.
- Turn on the TV. You should see a blue light on the TV indicating that it has picked up the USB and the firmware image file.
- When the blue light turns off, turn off the TV and remove the USB storage device.
- Turn on the TV, go to “Settings” and “System” to check the firmware version number under “Version” to make sure you are using the latest firmware.
Update apps on your new Vizio TV.
Subsequent generations of Vizio TVs use SmartCast TV, a version of Chromecast. With Chromecast, you can use the app on your phone to cast content directly to your TV. These newer models don’t require you to update your apps manually; they are automatically updated when you are not using the TV. These models also update their firmware periodically, but you can do it manually if you like. Vizio TVs equipped with SmartCast significantly reduce update times. As long as your TV is connected to Wi-Fi, updating your TV manually will only take a few seconds.
- Turn on the TV.
- Use the remote to select “Menu” and then “Settings”.
- Select “System” and “Check for Updates”.
- Confirm any updates if they are found.
You should see a progress bar on the screen showing how far the update process has progressed. Let the TV update without interference and your TV will reboot and download the latest firmware. You can now open SmartCast TV and view any new apps or features released with the update.
How do I update the Hulu app on Vizio TV?
Many of you may have noticed that Hulu will no longer work on your TV and Vizio has addressed the issue of Hulu not working on their website.
Vizio stated, “Some older VIZIO VIA devices will no longer be able to stream Hulu Plus. This is due to an update that Hulu made to the Hulu Plus app. It affects several devices of almost all electronics manufacturers. No problem with your VIZIO TV or Hulu Plus. Hulu Plus will no longer work on the TVs listed below.”
If your TV is part of any of the models on their website, you will no longer be able to watch Hulu.
How do I set up Amazon Prime on my Vizio TV?
Setting up Amazon Prime on Vizio is easy because the extension sits directly on the TV. To sign in to the Amazon Prime app, follow these steps:
- Find the Amazon Prime Video app on the home screen of your Vizio Smart TV. It should already be installed.
- Click on the “Amazon Prime Video” app and sign in with your username and password.
- Enjoy your Amazon Prime Video!