You may have the best sword enchantment or the best defense plan, but sometimes that’s not enough in the Minecraft survival world. No matter how hard you try, you cannot save everyone around you. Zombies can find, attack and turn your inhabitants into zombies. This usually forces the player to kill zombie villagers, and sometimes even an entire village, in order to protect themselves. Fortunately, there is a great way to protect and heal your village peers, and we will learn about it in this guide. We will teach you how to heal a zombie villager in Minecraft, so let’s get started.
Cure a zombie villager in Minecraft (2022)
This method works in both Minecraft Java and Bedrock editions. In addition, we have tested it on the Minecraft 1.18 update, so you can be sure of compatibility.
What is a Zombie Villager in Minecraft
As the name suggests, zombie villagers are a variant of zombies. Usually , whenever a zombie kills a villager, there is a high chance that it will turn into a zombie villager. This villager’s biome-based stats and costumes remain intact. Sometimes zombie villagers can also spawn naturally in your world. Although normal villagers turn into zombie villagers, this is a more common situation.
The strength, movement, and behavior of a zombie villager is the same as a normal zombie. They can also pick up tools such as bows and swords to attack the player. So, if you don’t have a proper setup to heal a zombie villager, you should keep a fair distance from him. Don’t forget that you can also spot baby zombie villagers, which are much more difficult to deal with.
Healing a Zombie Villager
To heal a zombie villager or turn it back into a normal villager, you need to follow the following three steps. First, you need to capture a zombie villager and weaken it with a potion or some other way. You can then feed him a golden apple to start the healing process. But the healing process is long and tedious, so you will have to wait until the zombie returns to its normal form.
But even then, you can’t just sit back and wait for a healing zombie to build up some extra power that makes it more dangerous and hostile. Some players even have to kill healing zombies to protect themselves.
How to catch a zombie villager
There are practically dozens of ways to catch zombies or any other mob. But if you meet a zombie villager in a village with houses, it will be much easier to catch him. In addition, you can also create a basic home structure to trap him. The setup is usually similar to igloo basements, which are practically the best place to heal a zombie villager.
- Once you find or create a house , you need to leave its door open and lure a zombie villager into it .
- Then quickly exit the house and close the exit door. You can add two doors to the house to make it easier to escape.
- Once a zombie villager is trapped, it cannot open doors or get burned by sunlight. Therefore, make sure that none of the other residents open the door and go outside.
Give Weakness Effect to Zombie Villager
Make an Explosive Potion of Weakness
Weakness is an in-game effect that reduces the attack power of any mob. And in our scenario, it also lowers the zombie stats of the zombie villager, allowing us to easily convert it. But first you need to prepare a potion of weakness. You’ll also find steps to turn it into a splash or throwable potion in the linked guide. You will need the following items:
- Fermented Spider Eye
- Fire Powder
- water bottle
- brewing stand
Alternatively, you can also prepare a prolonged weakness potion or an arrow of weakness. But we suggest you create a splash potion of weakness, as it is comparatively easier.
Use the potion on the zombie villager
Once your zombie villager is trapped, attacking them becomes easy. You only need to make a single block opening in a house or similar structure. Then , throw a splashing potion at the zombie villager to give it a Weakness effect. Depending on the edition of your game, the effect of the potion will have the following duration:
- 1 minute 30 seconds – Potion of Weakness I in Java
- 4 Minutes – Potion of Weakness II (Extended) in Java
- 1 minute 7 seconds – Potion of Weakness I on Bedrock
- 3 minutes – Potion of Weakness II (Extended) on Bedrock
However, you don’t have to worry about time because it only takes a few seconds to initiate the curing process if you do it right. With that said, let’s see how you can heal a zombie villager.
How to Heal a Zombie Villager in Minecraft
1. Start by making a golden apple . For the crafting recipe, you will need 1 regular apple and 8 gold ingots. Apples are easy to find in village chests and you can use our Minecraft 1.18 ore distribution guide to get gold.
2. Then you need to feed the zombie villager with the golden apple . You can do this by right clicking or using the secondary key. This will immediately produce a hissing sound. The zombie villager’s eyes will turn red and he will release red particles around him.
3. Now keep in mind that the zombie villager gains additional strength during the healing process. So it’s better to leave it in the trap and wait a few minutes. And after some time, you will find in the house an ordinary villager who has successfully cured zombies in Minecraft.
How long does it take to cure a zombie
After you have fed a golden apple to a zombie villager, in the Bedrock version and 3-5 minutes in the Java version, the healing will take effect to the full. You can reduce this time by placing beds or iron bars around a zombie villager in Minecraft. Players usually don’t take such measures to speed up the process as it only results in a 10% change.
But there is no need to worry about the time, since the zombie villager cannot disappear after the process has started. You can continue your exploration and return to find that the villager has been cured. Your presence does not affect the curing process. In addition, you can save and reload your world to completely reduce the waiting time in the Minecraft Bedrock version.
What Happens After Healing a Zombie Villager
Zombie – a villager turns into a normal villager after completing the healing process. If he was holding any weapons, armor or tools, they will disappear. If the villager was a baby before turning into a zombie villager, the healing process will turn them back into a baby villager in Minecraft. An adult villager can get his profession back and even get a new one once you heal his zombified self.
Benefits of Healing a Zombie Villager in Minecraft
Now that you know how to heal a zombie villager in Minecraft, the obvious question is why would you want to do this. Now, in case you’re wondering, some other benefits besides saving a villager from savagery are as follows:
- If the villager had a profession before he turned into a zombie, he will restore the profession as soon as you heal him. And it will offer huge ongoing shopping discounts that you can take advantage of.
- If you heal a villager in a village, it will also affect other villagers. Thus, you can expect some level of trade discounts from other villagers as well .
- And finally, healing a villager also protects other villagers from turning into zombies.
Easily Heal Zombie Villager in Minecraft
Whether it’s for trade discounts or moral reasons, you can now easily heal a zombie villager in Minecraft. And if you don’t find that exciting enough, try repeating the experiment without trapping the zombie villager. In terms of key locations, this healing experiment is best done in one of our Minecraft Village Seeds. However, if you don’t want to experience it, you can always use the best Minecraft potions to protect the villagers before anything vulnerable reaches the village. But that’s a completely different story.
As for the players who don’t want to go deep into the whole zombie capture part, our top 1.18 mountain seeds can help them find the igloo. Many of these igloos spawn with a basement that already has a zombie villager. Don’t forget that you can always install Forge in Minecraft.
It allows you to run some of the best Minecraft mod packs that can help you unlock more interesting quests besides curing zombies. In the meantime, don’t forget to share your ideas for more interesting in-game quests. Our team will test and share them with our readers.