Many of us like to keep our Windows PCs without a password or PIN. This makes it easier to access the laptop when it wakes up from sleep or even when we restart our computers. This is only a good practice if you are alone or no one has physical access to your device. Otherwise, securing your Windows 11 PC with a PIN or password is always a good idea. In this guide, we’ll look at the ways you can update or change your PIN on a Windows 11 PC.
Change PIN on Windows 11 PC
To change the default PIN or password on a Windows 11 PC, follow these steps:
- Press Win + I to launch the Settings app.
- Click ” Accounts ” on the left navigation bar.
- Go to the right pane and click Login Options.
- On the next screen, tap the PIN available in the Login Methods section.
- In the Windows Security window that appears, enter your previous PIN, New PIN, and confirm the one you entered in the New PIN section.
- You can check the “Enable Letters and Symbols” box to have an alphanumeric key on your Windows 11 PC.
- Click OK to confirm your changes.
- Then restart your computer and when it does, use the newly created PIN to log into your computer.
What to do if you forget your PIN in Windows 11?
If you have forgotten your PIN, click “I forgot my PIN” and follow the instructions. You can find this setting by navigating to the path given below −
Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options > I forgot my PIN
Normally it would be like this –
Case 1: If you are signed in with a Microsoft account, you can use your account credentials to sign in to your computer. There are times when you have forgotten your password. Well, if so, you will be provided with a link to your registered email address to reset your PIN.
- Click Continue and use your Microsoft account credentials to reset your PIN.
Note . The screenshots above are taken while logging in to the computer. In cases where you find it difficult to remember your PIN, use your user ID and password to bypass the lock screen.
Case 2: However, if you are logged in using a local account, you will be asked to answer three security questions that you will complete when you set up your computer.
Council . If you’ve created a local user account to sign in to your Windows 11 PC and don’t remember the three security questions, all you can do is install the new OS on your device.
I hope you find this guide on how to change or update the previous PIN in your Windows 11 OS.