In Windows and Windows-compatible software, print error 0x00000771 is a common hex error. This error mostly occurs due to corrupted system files, network issues, required services not running in the background, or after updating/installing new applications or Windows updates.
Since you are here, you must be wondering how to overcome this error on your device. Well, you have come to the right place, as in this post we will discuss the possible causes of this and four working methods that should solve this problem.
What Causes Printer Error 0x00000771?
Printing error 0x00000771 is a Windows error that is mainly caused by system file corruption. System files get corrupted for a variety of reasons, including improper removal or installation, and improper shutdown or removal of application hardware.
The 0x00000771 error message appears in various situations when trying to use printers. This can happen when a new printer is connected to a computer or over a network. This issue has been around for several years and affects all types of printers.
There is a chance that this error will occur when the user connects a new printer to the computer. When you select the default printer, which you do every time, chances are that you will get the 0x00000771 error. Configuration settings and maintenance related issues are the main causes of this error. Many of them believe that this is due to a bug caused by removing the printer.
Fixing Printer Error 0x00000771 on Windows
If you are getting error code 0x00000771 when printing documents, try these solutions and see if they solve the problem.
1] Try the printer troubleshooter
Windows PC has a built-in troubleshooter that you should try first to find and fix the root causes. Here is how to run this troubleshooter and fix issues with it −
- Press Win + I to open the Start window.
- Type “troubleshoot” in the search box and press Enter .
- Look for the phrase ” Advanced troubleshooting tools “.
- Select “Printer” from the drop-down menu, then click ” Run the troubleshooter “.
- Wait for the search process to complete before attempting to apply the suggested fixes.
- Restart your computer to see if the issue is resolved.
Note . If you are using Windows 11, navigate to this path and run the troubleshooter instead.
Settings > System > Troubleshoot > Other troubleshooters
- After navigating to the above path, find the Printer section and click the Run button next to it.
- When the troubleshooter starts, click “Next” and follow the instructions on the screen.
2] Check the print spooler service.
To avoid any problems related to printers, the print spooler service must be running and set to Automatic. Go ahead and check if the printer service settings are set as described above. To do this, use the steps −
- Press Win + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type ”
services.msc” inside it and click OK .
- When the Services window opens, in the right pane, look for Print Spooler.
- When found, check what is written next to it in the Status column.
- If it is already running, right-click the print spooler and click Restart .
- Otherwise, right-click it and select the option – Properties .
- In its properties window, change the startup type to “Automatic” and click ” Start “.
- At the end click ” Apply ” then ” OK ” to confirm this configuration.
3] Remove recently installed updates
Printer error 0x00000771 can sometimes also occur due to corrupted updates or incorrect software installation. If you notice this error after a recent update or app installation, be sure to get rid of the update/program first.
To remove the problematic application, do the following:
- Press Win + X and select Apps & Features.
- On the next window, scroll down and look for that particular software.
- When it is found, click on the three dots on the right and click ” Delete “.
- When the pop-up appears, click ” Delete” again.
Here is how to get rid of recently installed updates −
- Type “Control Panel” in the Windows search box and press Enter.
- Type “program” into the search bar, then “Uninstall a program”.
- On the left side of the window, select ” View installed updates “.
- Double check that the entries appear in the order they were updated.
- Uninstall the most recent update after selecting it.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the uninstallation process.
- Restart your computer after the uninstall is complete.
Note . After uninstalling the latest updates, be sure to turn off auto-updates in Windows for at least 7 days. Here’s how to turn off automatic updates on a Windows PC.
4] Change the corresponding registry entry
If none of the workarounds above resolve printer error 0x00000771 on your computer, there may be problems with printer registries. Go and check if it’s true or not. If you find permission issues, fix them by editing the appropriate registry entry. Here is how to complete this task −
- Type “Regedit” into the Windows search box, then press Enter.
- When the user control appears, click Yes .
- Follow the directions to the specified location −
- Locate the Windows entry, right-click it and select Permissions .
- Select the group you belong to, i.e. administrator, group, or username.
- Select full permissions from the full control list.
- Open Registry Editor, click Apply, then OK and close it.
I hope the four methods listed above helped resolve printer error 0x00000771.