The Poco smartphone series gained popularity in less time span because of many reasons. One of these reasons is the heavy specs at a budget cost. Poco F3 GT is one of their latest phones which has good specifications. And as it is a Xiaomi phone, you can freely unlock bootloader and root your phone. And if you are thinking of the same, this is the guide you need. Here you will know how to root Poco F3 GT and how to unlock bootloader of Poco F3 GT.
Poco F3 GT was released in the last week of July 2021. It comes with some unique designs compared to other phones in the series. The phone features a 6.67-inch FHD+ AMOLED display. Yes, it’s a higher refresh rate display up to 120Hz. It comes with MediaTek Dimensity 1200 5G processor with Mali-G77 MC9 GPU. The phone is coupled with 6GB & 8GB RAM along with 128GB & 256GB storage. It runs on Xiaomi’s own MIUI 12.5.
MIUI brings freedom for the phone customization on the Poco F3 GT. But the theming and customization are restricted to some parts. So if you want system-level customization, you have to root your phone or try a custom ROM. Not just customization, you can get a bunch of advanced features on your Poco F3 GT with root access. Here we will also share how to unlock bootloader of Poco F3 GT.
How to Root Poco F3 GT
As Poco F3 GT is a phone from Xiaomi you can easily unlock the bootloader of the device with the same process. And this means you can also root your Poco F3 GT. Rooting is still a good choice if you want a whole lot of new features and don’t mind the unlocked bootloader. Some of the basic features of root include custom fonts, custom boot animation, and third-party themes. As you know rooting requires an unlocked bootloader, so let’s first check the guide to unlock bootloader of Poco F3 GT.
Unlock Bootloader of Poco F3 GT
As you know Android phones come with locked bootloader, which restricts users from rooting or installing custom ROM. But luckily Xiaomi allows users to unlock bootloader without much effort. So let’s find out how to unlock bootloader of the Poco F3 GT.
- Take a full backup of your Poco F3 GT as this guide will delete all the data.
- Download the Mi Unlock Tool on your PC. Also, install ADB & Fastboot Drivers on your PC.
- Now open Settings on your phone and login to Mi Account and wait for at least 7 days. And if already logged in for more than 7 days, then skip this step. You can even try without waiting.
- Head over to Settings > Mi Account > Mi Cloud and enable ‘Sync’ & ‘Find Device’. Also, Sync all App data at least once.
- Now to enable developer options, go to About Phone and tap 7-8 times on the MIUI version, and it will display ‘You are now a developer.’
- Then go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options to open Developer Options.
- In developer options, enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Connect your device to the active internet connection with the same number that you used in the Mi account. And then, go to Mi Unlock Status (in developer options) and link your Mi Account.
- Now boot your Poco F3 GT into Fastboot mode. Turn off your phone and then press & hold Volume Down + Power button together and release buttons when the Mi Bunny image shows up on the phone.
- Connect your PC to an active Internet connection. Then open the Mi Unlock Tool and sign in with the same Mi account that you are using on your Poco F3 GT.
- It will detect your phone and then click on the ‘Unlock Now’ button.
- It will start unlocking the bootloader of Xiaomi Poco F3 GT, and this will erase all the data.
Note: If the tool stops at 99%, then wait for a few days and try again with the same method.
After unlocking the bootloader, you can verify from the Developer Options. And once you find the OEM Unlocking is enabled by default, you are just a few steps away from rooting your Poco F3 GT. Before you move to the steps, make sure to check out the requirements section.
- Make sure to unlock Bootloader of Poco F3 GT
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Download Magisk APK
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver on PC (You can also use Platform tools)
- Download Poco F3 GT firmware (the same version which is installed)
Steps to Root Poco F3 GT
- Copy the downloaded Magisk apk on your phone and install it.
- Extract the boot.img from the downloaded Firmware on your PC. Copy the boot.img to your phone storage.
- Open the Magisk app and click on the first Install.
- In the next screen, choose ‘Select and Patch a File.’
- It will take you to file storage, select the boot.img file. It will start patching the file, and wait for the patching process.
- You will find the patched file in the Download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Then copy the patched file to your computer at location C:\adb (or Platform tools folder). And rename the file to boot.img.
- Power off your Xiaomi Poco F3 GT and boot into Fastboot mode (use the guide given in unlock bootloader). Connect your phone to the computer when it is in Fastboot mode.
- Go to the C:\adb folder (or Platform tools) and change the address to CMD and press enter to open Command Window.
- Enter the below commands on your Command/PowerShell window to check if it is connected, it should return id.
- Once it is connected, enter the below command to root Poco F3 GT.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot file, Reboot your phone into the system using the below command.
- When the device boots into the system, open the Magisk app, and follow the in-app instructions.
- That’s all, now your Poco F3 GT is successfully rooted.
You can check for root access on any third-party root checker apps. And once you have root access on Poco F3 GT, you can enjoy all the features and apps that ask for root privilege. You can also enjoy various Xposed Modules on your phone. Check here to install Xposed Framework on your phone that will allow you to use modules.
So there you have the complete guide on how to root Poco F3 GT along with a guide to unlock bootloader on Poco F3 GT. If you have any questions on your mind let us know in the comment section.
- Xiaomi finally rolls out MIUI 12 Update to Redmi Note 7 [Global Stable]
- TPS Xiaomi Tool Download to Unlock/Disable/Remove Mi Account [Updated]
- Download Mi Flash Pro Tool for Windows [Latest Version]