OnePlus has officially launched the OnePlus 9RT a few days back. It is a premium phone from OnePlus that packs flagship specs. The device was released in China and is expected to make a Global debut soon. If you have a OnePlus 9RT phone and are looking forward to rooting it, then this guide is for you. Here you will know how to root OnePlus 9RT and how to unlock bootloader of OnePlus 9RT.
Talking about the design, the device looks similar to the OnePlus 9R. There is only a slight change in the camera module and it looks more like the latest Samsung phones. The OnePlus 9RT comes with Snapdragon 888 SoC coupled with 12GB RAM. It features a big 6.62-inch FHD+ AMOLED display with 120Hz refresh rate support. The device runs on ColorOS based Android 11 in China. But it will be available with OxygenOS in other regions.
OnePlus phones are popular for OxygenOS but since it is adopting the ColorOS environment you may miss many good OxygenOS features. Also, Android 12 is now available with new visuals that you may not get on the OnePlus phone. So, to get advanced features you can root your phone, and also you can install custom ROMs. Here we are going to share the root guide as well as how to unlock bootloader of OnePlus 9RT.
How to Root OnePlus 9RT
Rooting OnePlus phones is still possible thanks to Magisk. It is still a good option for any Android user who wants to take advantage of available Magisk modules and Xposed modules. Rooting also brings some basic features like support for custom fonts, custom boot animation, and third party themes. But to root OnePlus 9RT, first you need to unlock bootloader of OnePlus 9RT. So, let’s start with bootloader guide.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader of OnePlus 9RT
OnePlus phones come with locked bootloader by default just like any other Android phone. It is a security feature that restricts users from modifying devices in case of theft. But it also restricts owners from trying custom ROMs or root features. So if you want to root OnePlus 9RT, first you need to unlock bootloader of OnePlus 9RT. Luckily, the OnePlus follow a simple process for unlocking bootloader. So let’s jump right into steps.
- Start with a complete data backup as unlocking bootloader will erase data from OnePlus 9RT.
- Install ADB & Fastboot drivers on your computer. It will let you enter adb and fastboot commands. You can also use platform tools in place of drivers.
- Now open Settings on your OnePlus 9RT and go to the ‘About Phone’ option.
- Look for the Build Number and tap it about 7-8 times. It will display ‘You are now a developer.’
- Go back to main Settings then go to System > Developer Options.
- Now there you need to enable OEM Unlocking & USB Debugging. Also, enable the Advance reboot option which will allow the phone to boot in different modes.
- Long press the Power button and it will show some options, click on three dots and select bootloader. You can also use shortcut keys to boot it into the bootloader.
- Once the OnePlus 9RT boots into Fastboot Mode/Bootloader mode. Connect your phone to the computer.
- Now open the command/CMD window on your PC. If you have downloaded platform tools, open cmd from its location. Enter the below command to check the device connectivity with the computer. It will return some device id.
- Enter the given command to start unlocking bootloader on OnePlus 9RT.
fastboot oem unlock
- The above command will prompt options on your phone. Now use the Volume keys to toggle options. Select ‘Unlock the Bootloader’ and press the Power button.
- Remember it will remove all data during the process. The device will now auto-reboot into the system after finishing the bootloader unlock.
- Set up your device and enjoy the OnePlus 9RT with unlocked bootloader.
After unlocking the bootloader, confirm it from developer options or using specific fastboot commands. And once you confirm that, you are all set for the rooting process. Make sure you go through the requirements.
- Take a full backup of your phone
- Download Magisk APK on your phone
- Make sure bootloader is unlocked
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver installed on your PC (Or Download Platform Tools)
- Download firmware of OnePlus 9RT (The same version that is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root OnePlus 9RT with Magisk
- First extract OnePlus 9RT firmware and copy the boot.img to your phone.
- Now install the Magisk app on your phone.
- Open the Magisk app and click on the Install.
- On the next page choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from available options.
- Browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.
- The output file will be stored in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb (Copy it in the platform tools folder if you have downloaded it). Rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Next reboot your OnePlus 9RT to Fastboot or bootloader mode and connect it to your computer.
- In the C:\adb folder (or platform-tools folder) press Shift + Right click on an empty area and select ‘Open Command window here’ or ‘Open PowerShell window here’. or enter CMD in the file address/location.
- You can check if the device is connected or not by entering the below command that should return some device id.
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root OnePlus 9 RT.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot image, reboot your phone.
- Install Magisk app if it’s not already installed.
- At last, complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
After rooting your phone, you can verify it through any third party apps or Magisk itself. Once you have root access on your phone, you can use apps and features that were disable by default. You can also use Xposed Modules for advanced customization. We have already shared a guide to install Xposed Framework if you want to use modules.
So that’s all on how to root OnePlus 9RT phones and how to unlock bootloader of OnePlus 9RT. If you have a OnePlus phone, you can check out more guides on OnePlus.
- How to Display Refresh Rate on OnePlus Phones [without any App]
- Download Unbrick Tool for OnePlus 8T & Restore your OnePlus 8T
- OnePlus 7 and 7 Pro finally starts receiving stable Android 11 update (OxygenOS 11)