Motorola Edge is now the new popular series from Motorola. Yes, the G series is still popular but at entry level and budget range. Edge 20 is a new phone available in the budget premium range same as Nord 2 from OnePlus. The Edge 20 comes with impressive specifications. And if you got yourself an Edge 20 and want to get more features on it, then this guide is for you. Here you will know how to root Motorola Edge 20 and how to unlock bootloader of Motorola Edge 20.
The edge series started with the first Edge phone which was the flagship phone from last year. And last Motorola also released Edge S and now the Edge 20 series. The Pro variant of Edge 20 is the flagship phone while the Edge 20 is a budget premium phone. This guide will work with all devices in the Edge 20 series.
Motorola Edge 20 comes with a big 6.7-inch FHD+ display with refresh rate support of up to 144Hz. It is powered by the Snapdragon 778G processor integrated with Adreno 642L GPU. The camera is another main attraction of the device. It has three cameras at the back, 108 MP + 8 MP Telephoto + 16 MP Ultra-Wide. At the front, it has a 32MP selfie camera. With these specs, it will undoubtedly perform great. But you can even increase features and performance by rooting your phone. Here we will also share how to unlock bootloader of Motorola Edge 20.
How to Root Motorola Edge 20
Rooting an Android phone is increasing the user privilege. As you know by default, there are many settings and files we can’t access or modify. And to get access to such files or settings, you need root privilege. So in this case we can root our Android phones to enjoy new features and freedom to use the phone as we want. Luckily you can root your Motorola Edge 20. But before rooting, you need to know how to unlock bootloader of Motorola Edge 20. So let’s jump into the guide.
Unlock Bootloader of Motorola Edge 20
By default, Android phones come with locked bootloader that restricts us from rooting or modifying devices. Motorola Edge 20 series also has locked bootloader which you need to remove before rooting the device. Luckily the OEM has an easy process of unlocking bootloader. So let’s check the steps to unlock bootloader of Motorola Edge 20.
- First take a full backup of your phone as unlocking the bootloader on Motorola Edge 20 will delete all the data.
- Now install ADB & Fastboot drivers and Motorola USB Driver on your PC. These driver will help in the process.
- On your phone, open Settings and go to About Phone. Tap 7-8 times on Build Number, and it will show ‘You are now a developer.’
- Now go back to Settings and then go to System > Developer Options. In Developer options, enable OEM Unlocking and also enable USB Debugging.
- Turn off your device. Press & hold Volume Down + Power button together to boot Motorola Edge 20 into Fastboot Mode.
- And when you see the Fastboot screen on your phone release both buttons. Then connect your phone to your PC when it is in Fastboot mode.
- Open the Command window or CMD on your computer. Open Command window from Platform Tools location in case of macOS and Linux.
- Enter the below command in the Command/PowerShell window
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- The output will display a 5-line code. Copy the code and make it in one line, use notepad for convenience. Remember not to copy (bootloader) in case of windows and Info in the case of Mac.
- Next go to the Motorola unlock page and click next and login with the Motorola account.
- Copy the one-line code that you just adjusted in Notepad and paste it into the Motorola unlock page.
- Click on ‘Can my device be unlocked’ and then click ‘Request Unlock Key’ (make sure to select I Agree).
- Then you will receive a code via mail (Motorola account ID). Copy the code and paste in place of ‘code’ without inverted commas in the below command and press Enter
fastboot oem unlock 'code'
- Entering the above command will unlock bootloader of Motorola Edge 20. It will erase all the data on your phone. After unlocking the bootloader, reboot, and set up your device.
Once you have completed the process of unlocking bootloader, you can verify it from Developer Options. The OEM unlocking will be enabled after reboot. Now once you unlocked the bootloader, you can proceed with rooting steps. Also, make sure to go through the requirement section.
- Make sure to Unlock Bootloader of Motorola Edge 20
- Take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong
- Charge your phone to at least 50%
- Download Magisk APK or Canary Magisk Manager APK
- Download the Motorola Edge 20 Firmware for your phone (the same version which is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root Motorola Edge 20 with Magisk
- Copy the Motorola Edge 20 firmware on your PC and extract the boot.img file from firmware. You can use 7Zip or WinRAR.
- Now install the Magisk app on your phone.
- After installing, open the Magisk app and click on the Install button.
- In the next step choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ from the option.
- Browse and select the boot.img file, and it will start patching the boot image.
- The output file will be stored in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Copy the patched boot image file to your computer in folder C:\adb. Also, rename the patched file to boot.img.
- Reboot your Motorola Edge 20 to Fastboot mode and connect it to your computer.
- Open C:\adb folder (or platform-tools folder) and replace the folder location with CMD and hit enter to open CMD on that location.
- You can check if the device is connected or not by entering the below command that should return some device id.
- Now enter the below command to flash Magisk and root Motorola Motorola Edge 20.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot image. Reboot your device to the system.
- Install Magisk if it’s not already installed.
- Complete the in-app instructions, and the device will automatically reboot into the system.
After rooting your Edge 20, you can enjoy all the apps and features that ask for root privilege. And as you know the device has a 144Hz display, you can tweak performance to get a smooth experience on games. You can also try various Xposed Modules for customization. But for this, you need to first install Xposed Framework.
So, there you have it, the complete guide on how to root Motorola Edge 20 and how to unlock bootloader of Motorola Edge 20. If you have any queries regarding the root guide, let us know in the comment section.
More Guides on Motorola:
- How to Download Firmware for Motorola Phones [Official Method]
- Motorola Device Manager Download for Windows & Mac
- How to Root Motorola One Action & Install TWRP Recovery