Once in a while, or, most of the time while browsing the internet we come across a few things. Yes, first is the content that you might be searching for. Following it are ads and one of the worst things ever – pop-ups. These popups can be so obtrusive and annoying to such an extent that either you can’t get rid of them or they simply just open up a new browser window. If you are someone who is a power user, you already know what to do. But, if you are someone who doesn’t use a computer regularly, it can be frustrating. So, here is a guide on how to prevent websites from opening up new windows and tabs.
The other reasons why some websites might be opening up new windows in your web browser can also be the reason a virus attack or it could also be some browser add-on that has gone completely rogue. That is why it’s always best to check what you might download and what websites do you visit on the internet. While you still might be careful enough, some websites can get sneaky and just let your browser open up another window. There are times when you wouldn’t know that a new window has been opened until you alt-tab or close the main browser, only to see another window open in the background. Read on to know how to prevent websites from opening up new browser windows and tabs.
Prevent Websites from Opening New Windows
On a Windows PC, you will users have installed the popular web browsers that they are accustomed to. This list consists of Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and lastly Mozilla Firefox. We’ll be taking a look at each how to prevent websites from opening extra windows in the above-mentioned browsers.
How to Prevent Websites Opening New Windows on Google Chrome
- Open up Google Chrome and make sure you are running on the latest version.
- Now, click on the three-dot menu towards the top right of the browser.
- When you click on it, select the Settings option.
- With the Settings page open, click on the Privacy and Security tab at the left-hand side of the browser.
- Click on Site Settings. This option lets you disable unwanted popups and tabs from being opened by websites.
- Scroll down till you find Pop-ups and re-directs.
- Now, select the Don’t allow sites to send pop-ups or use redirects.
- When you select this option, Google Chrome will now forcefully prevent any website from opening additional tabs without your consent.
How to Prevent Websites Opening New Windows on Microsoft Edge
- Fire up Microsoft Edge on your PC and ensure that the latest updates for the browser have been installed.
- Head to the top right corner of the browser and click on the three-dot menu.
- From the list that opens up, click on the Settings option.
- Click on Cookies and Site permissions from the left pane on the Settings page.
- Now, scroll down the right-hand panel till you find the Pop-ups and redirects.
- You will see a toggle at the top that says block. Simply click on the toggle to activate it.
- Below that, you will see the block and allow options. Here is where you can allow or block certain websites from showing up pop-ups and redirects.
- Simply enter the website URL and you are good to go.
How to Prevent Websites Opening New Windows on Mozilla Firefox
- Open up Mozilla Firefox and serif you are running on the latest version of the web browser.
- At your right-hand corner, below the close button, click on the Application Menu button that has three horizontal lines.
- Select the Settings option from the menu that shows up.
- Now, on the left-hand side, select Privacy and Security.
- Scroll the right-hand panel till you find the Block Pop-Up Windows option.
- First, you need to check the checkbox that is at the left of it. And finally, you can click on the Exceptions button.
- Here you will be able to manage various websites and choose to either allow them to show pop-ups or not.
And there you have it. You have finally learned the way to disable and prevent websites from opening up new windows and tabs on your web browser on a Windows PC. With these settings in place, you will not be required to install a third-party plugin for this task. Simply visiting the particular web browser’s settings page can’t help you set the browser the way that you like. Also, if you might be visiting websites that are known to throw up a lot of popups, might as well have the popup blocker turned on to enjoy a peaceful browsing experience.
- How to Take Screenshot on Android 12 [4 Methods]
- How to Take Screenshot in Windows 11 [8 Methods]
- How to insert a PDF into Google Slides [Guide]