Vizio Smart TVs are popular in many regions because of their amazing quality at budget prices. But Vizio TVs lack the support of the Android operating system which means users cannot access the Play Store to download apps. So, if you have doubts about how to add apps on Vizio Tvs, then you will get to know the solution here.
Smart TVs have come a long way from what they used to be back then. Now the majority of your Smart TVs have every feature that you could think of. The latest Android TV OS version, WiFi, Bluetooth, Dolby Audio and Vision, and even the option to cast from other devices as well. Also, these TVs come with a suite of Tv optimized apps that you can use to watch whatever you’d like. The same we get to see in Vizio Smart TVs.
There are a large variety of TV-specific Android apps that come pre-installed on Vizio TVs. However, there might some apps that you’d want to use on your Vizio TV but you can’t, because the TV doesn’t have an App Store or it might not have that specific app that you need. So, here’s a guide that will show you how to add apps to your Vizio Smart TVs.
There are three ways that you can follow to install apps on your Vizio Smart TV without the V button. Vizio Smartcast TVs remote does not have the V button instead, it has a Home button that you can use for the same Function.
Method 1: Install Apps using the Vizio Internet Apps (Plus) platform
- Make sure your Vizio TV is connected to the Internet.
- Now, on your TV remote press the ‘Home’ button twice. (The home button has the letter V on it or the Home icon.)
- You will now see a screen that will show you the apps that have been installed on your TV. It will have tabs such as My Apps, Featured, Latest, All Apps, and Categories.
- Now browse through the Featured, Latest, App Apps, and Categories tabs to look for the App that you wish to install on your TV. You can also do a search for the app you want.
- Once you’ve found the app that you wish to install, select it and hold the OK button on your TV remote till the new app shows up in the My Apps tab.
And this is how you install apps on Vizio TVs with or without V button using the Vizio Internet Apps Store.
Method 2: Use Apps on Vizio TVs using Screencast
As we mentioned earlier that Vizio TVs come with a limited number of apps, so it is possible that you may not find some apps that you want to use on your TV. So how to use those apps on your TV. The best and simple solution to use these apps is by using Screencast.
Since most of the Vizio TVs have the Screencast option, it is quite easy to cast an app from your mobile screen to your TV. So, let’s see how to screencast onto a Vizio TV.
- Make sure that your Vizio TV and your mobile device are on the same Wi-Fi network. It is required to be on the same network so that your mobile device will be able to easily detect your TV’s wireless display.
- Open up the app that you would like to cast. For example, if it’s the YouTube app, open it and tap on the Connect to device icon.
- It will now search for wireless displays on the same network, once your TV shows up, select it and you can now screencast to your Vizio TV.
Screencasting from a Laptop to Vizio TV
You can make use of your Windows 10 laptop to screencast its display onto the TV. here is how you can do it. Like Mobile devices, your computer should also be connected to the same WiFi as your Vizio TV.
- Open Google Chrome browser on your laptop and select the three-dot menu towards your upper right of the browser. You can make use of other Browser which has the same features as Google Chrome.
- Select the Cast option from the Menu. It will now look for your wireless display. Once done you can choose to either share your web browser’s screen or the whole system along with the audio as well.
As for the mobile cast, your laptop and your Vizio TV should be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Screensharing on Vizio TVs using iPhones/iPads
The Vizio TVs also come with Airplay 2, Apple’s version of screen mirroring. So let’s take a look at how screencasting works on an iPhone to use apps on Vizio TVs.
- Open up the streaming app on iPhone or iPad and look for the Apple Airplay icon.
- Tap on the icon and your device will start looking for your wireless TV. Make sure that both your devices are on the same network.
- You will now be able to stream content right away from your device to the TV. In the same way, you can also stream your music and even share your photos on the big screen.
Method 3: Using Chromecast or Roku streaming players
Using any streaming player that can be attached to your TV is also useful for Streaming through Chromecast or Roku player/ Just make sure that both devices are connected to the same wireless network.
Apart from that, you can also make use of the Vizio SmartCast App on Android and iOS to see what Apps are installed on the TV and use your app to directly play content onto the TV. However, not all Vizio TVs have all the options to use and cast apps mentioned here. So in that case, you can use the different methods mentioned here to add apps on Vizio TVs. You can check the next section to find out your TV compatibility for installing apps or screencasting.
Method 4: Install Apps on Vizio Smart TVs launched before 2017
If you have one of those Vizio Smart Tvs from 2017 and earlier, you can install apps. You cannot sideload them, but make use of the limited number of apps that are available.
- Power up your Vizio Smart TV and make sure it is connected to a working wifi network.
- Take the remote for your TV and press the Home Button once.
- You will have to selected Connected Store from the options.
- Once in the store, simply navigate and select All Apps.
- Now, you will be able to brwose the various apps that are available to download.
- Once you have found the app to install, simply select it and select the install button.
- The app will be downloaded and you will be able to access it right from the home screen of your Vizio TV
Vizio TV types and features availability
- VIZIO VIA & VIA Plus TVs released up to 2017 lets you install apps from the dedicated Vizio Connected TV Store.
- VIZIO SmartCast HD TVs launched between 2016 and 2017 do not allow you to install apps and have no built-in apps for you to use. Screencasting is the only way to go.
- VIZIO SmartCast 4K UHD TVs launched between 2016 – 2017 and SmartCast TVs from 2018 won’t allow you to install apps externally. Make use of the pre-installed apps or you can make use of the cast feature to screencast from your Android or iOS mobiles and tablets.
Looking at how some Vizio TVs will let you install apps and while some don’t, make sure to check your Vizio TV model before you begin to install apps or screencast. If you can’t able to use apps by any method, then it’s probably time for you to get a new TV. But while you make that new purchase make sure to check if the TV supports app installations or has a dedicated app store in it. You won’t have to worry about screencast as all TVs come with that option right out of the box itself.
- How to Open PDF Files on Android TV [2 Methods]
- How to Take Screenshot on Android TV [Definitive Guide]
- How to Get Apple TV 4K Screen Savers on Android TV